Monday, June 15, 2020

Final Project Proposal

I often say "I love teaching, but I hate schools" (insert some profanity  and an occasional verbal dissertation).  The concept of teaching is beautiful, to be able to facilitate space for someone else's development, and who are we kidding? For our own continued development as well. How beautiful is that? To watch humans grow and flourish and develop into autonomous- free thinking beings.  
                              Amanda Seales Bring The Funny GIF by NBC - Find & Share on GIPHY

I think that was my dream, the reason I became a teacher - well that and I didn't have a teacher of color until late into high school and I wanted to change that somehow - but this is not the reality we live in. Through some self discovery and reading and connecting with people doing the work I've come to see the systematic destruction that happens to our babies every day. I am constantly trying to figure out how to get back to that dream. 

What kind of environment would support that ? What does a day in that learning look like? What did I wish was there for me when I was a student of color in a system not designed for me?  What are my current students asking for?

These are the questions I am continuously asking myself and they are also the questions I want to explore through this project. For this project I would like to discuss what a day in my dream learning environment will be like. I will touch on how the logistics and flow of the day will be and the concepts of lesson "structures". 

I am imagining a community school with some outdoor space and education. Project & interest based. Critical thinking. Experiential learning. Collaborative - Multi age - "classes".


Some of my inspiration comes from conversations with people I have met through this work as well as my own experience. I also read and really hold Betina Love's book very high. We Want to do More Than Survive: Abolitionist Teaching and the Pursuit of Educational Freedom.  This book deepened my understanding of the educational system and the assimilation model that it holds. It made me look at the roots of our education system rather than the surface problems that we see every day. Education in the country needs a mindset shift. I also am inspired by my experience in Human Development and the Youth Development fields/academia. Although this field and the field of Education have similar interests the lenses used to look at youth are so different. In my opinion the Youth Development lens is more complete.

My biggest inspiration is the youth I have worked with in a variety of spaces. I am finishing my second full year teaching, I've worked as a Site Director for after-school, I have been a Program Director at Camps, Did Americorps at the Providence Children's Museum, and have worked with youth through a few different organizations. Each of these places has shown me different ways to reach youth and I have been able to watch youth grow and LEARN in all of these places.


When thinking about this concept I will connect to the documentaryPrecious Knowledge. I appreciate the content and the passion to witch it was taught and protected. It is so important to teach our youth about us, and how powerful and beautiful we are as a people. I also want to connect this work to the reading "What Counts as Educational Policy" because this article discussed the effects of poverty on students in "Urban" school. I think it is important when looking at those effects when thinking of a new school concept, especially a community school. How will the learning connect to the community and how can it be a place that supports the community?

My current partner teacher taught me his class pledge that I quickly continued into my classroom as well. 

I am the OG
I am the future
My imagination
Brighten up the world
I am strong
I am intelligent
My story is apart of the history
Of the world
I am courageous
I am loved
I can do
What has never been done
Before!



And that is the base of this school concept.



3 comments:

  1. Hi, Zoe! Your school sounds like a wonderful place to be! It actually reminds me of some of the experiences my friends who were home schooled had that I wished had been part of my own experience.
    Here are some questions I had:
    Can anyone in the community attend your school (and how do you define community)? Will there be community partnerships/services that address issues of housing, food insecurity, or other issues related to poverty? (Just thinking of some things from Anyon's writing.)

    Also, will you be discussing the enrollment and employment/adminstrative side of the plan, or will this paper focus more on physical space and curriculum?

    It seems like there would be so many wonderful ideas you could cover so the recommended 2-3 pages may be tough. I imagine you'll have to focus on specific aspects of the dream school. I would love to hear what you come up with!

    PS. Thanks for the book recommendation, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Zoe,

    I second Dr. Benson on the book recommendation. I will certainly be adding this to my ever growing list of "Things to Read this Summer"

    Your dream school sounds incredible. If I remember correctly from our class, I believe you said you went to Woonsocket High School. As I enter my 4th year teaching at WHS, taking this class and my TESL courses has me searching for ways to advocate more effectively for the students and to address how there is little (meaning zero) diversity among teachers in this state. Nina and I are working on a pathway that would allow for students interested in education to begin taking courses at the high school that would beneficial to a person looking to become a teacher and giving them exposure to teaching in a classroom (our target classrooms would be with a high number of EMLs, as the population of EML is expected to continue increasing). I'm not sure if what I just discussed was ever part of your dream, or if you feel that this may be helpful for others, but depending on what next school year brings, I hope this idea starts to become a reality. I would thoroughly enjoy seeing your ideas listed here come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zoe,
    This sounds like a great topic. I'm wondering if the Critically Compassionate Pedagogy and Critical Hope (next week's reading) articles will also be useful. I like that you will be radically dreaming up your dream school and grounding it in a mix of educational and youth development theory, as well as your own biography and the experiences of your students.

    I'm also thinking about your comment that the YDEV approach to youth is more complete... I see this. And reflecting on this, I'm thinking about how education-based frames (and coursework) are limited because education as a field is so tethered to the (problematic!) institution of schooling, and that institution's needs, demands, limits, and possibilities.

    Keep going, keep pushing!

    ReplyDelete